Thursday 15 March 2018

Leica M3 Black Paint camera 徕卡黑漆露銅M3

My dream camera 黑漆露銅M3

When I first exploring Leica camera with Keith, his choice for camera was the black Leica M6 TTL while i was looking for a Leica camera in pristine condition.

After visiting and talking to Joe, I came to know about the so called Leica "Black paint" camera. The black M3 is one of rarest and most sought after Leica camera. Official Leica lists only 1,320 made out of over 225,000 M3.  The black paint was a standard  option available in the past for photographers who need to have a discreet camera or used by war photographers. Similar to the vintage Rolex 1655 Explorer when launched it was not popular and only gained status after it was discontinued. The black M3's were not too popular while the factory was making them. Only after the black paint bodies were discontinued and recognized as rare did collectors want them. One of the challenges is the avoidance of fakes as there were cameras that were repainted black. 

For those who wished to collect one must make sure it conform to the list or get from reputable dealers. Subsequently, I have managed to get the black paint camera from Alfred & Daniel (9 days Photo & camera).



Subsequently, I started to collect the black paint Leica I, II, III and really love the lacquered black paint camera. As such, i have decided to trade in my Chrome M3 for the black paint M3... I remember someone said Buy Once, Buy the Best you can... I must add the one you desired most...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year